Tel: +44 (0)1892 863637Burrswood
Kent, TN3 9PY
End of life care with Burrswood
Burrswood offers short term palliative care for those whose condition is stable. A safe and beautiful environment where people can receive skilled whole person care for a wide variety of conditions.
- Short term palliative respite breaks
- Resident Chaplains
- An environment offering beauty, comfort and hope where medical expertise joins with love and prayer
- Every effort to enable people to live life as fully as possible
- Guest House adjoining for visitors to stay
Please click here for information about How to Book.
The philosophy of palliative care at Burrswood
The World Health Organisation (1990) defines Palliative Care as the active total care of patients whose disease is no longer responsive to curative treatment.
The care we offer at Burrswood is shaped within the context of the belief that every human life is sacred, and that life is a gift from God. We do not, therefore, feel it is acceptable to actively take away a life that God has created.
Our aim is to provide relief from suffering and pain, whether physical, psychological or spiritual. Our goal is to achieve the best quality of life for our patients and their families. This is through the close working of our interdisciplinary team, involving Nurses, Doctors, Counsellors, Chaplains and Physiotherapists.
Thus, our Palliative Care:-
- Provides relief from pain and other distressing symptoms
- Intends neither to hasten or postpone death, thus affirming life and regarding dying as a normal process
- Integrates the psychological and spiritual aspects of care
- Offers support to help the family cope during the patient's illness and in their own bereavement
Burrswood has adopted the new End of Life Care patient charter drawn up by the Royal College of Nursing together with the Royal College of General Practitioners and no longer follows the Liverpool Care Pathway guidelines, in line with good practice guidelines.
We want to offer people who are nearing the end of their life the highest quality of care and support. We wish to help you live as well as you can, for as long as you can. Therefore, if and when you want us to, we will:
How is it from the family's perspective?
"I am writing to express me and my family’s deepest gratitude for the wonderful palliative care and compassion given by everyone at Burrswood to my late husband in the final days of his life. The medical and nursing care were excellent. Everyone was unfailing kind and caring and I cannot recommend Burrswood highly enough. All those who came to say their goodbyes were very impressed by both the care and ethos of Burrswood."